Saints March to Perfection Ended By…Tony Romo? C’mon Man!

drew-brees1219jpg-00d3d3bfd58ae8e5_large
Well Saints fans, looks like our season long question has finally been answered in the most obnoxious of ways. It’s the Cowboys…”dat who.”

Before going off on a tangent about the disturbing events of Saturday night, allow me to offer a little perspective; The Saints are 13-1, division champs, and they’re guaranteed a bye week in the playoffs, okay, folks? No need to jump off the deep end. With that said…

What the f#*% was that??!!! It’s one thing to come out sluggish against the Redskins after a short week on the road or to play the Falcons tough in their dome, but we played the Cowgirls in our house, in prime time. Emotion was on our side. After all, Roy Williams and his legion of goons had been trash talking us the whole week. Isn’t that the kind of thing that brings a team together? Instead, our offense and defense seemed to be on a voluntary bye week for much of the game.

What we witnessed was a team, that for the past two weeks has relied on luck to close out games, having their luck run out. No miraculous Robert Meachem strip of the ball or Jon Vilma lead saving interception could save us from the Cowboys. Dallas played inspired football. The Saints, well, I’m not really sure what our team was doing. Our offensive line got manhandled. Our secondary got sliced and diced. Our defensive line made Tony Romo look like an MVP candidate. And our MVP caliber quarterback, well he looked more like Tony Romo. This was a classic case of ‘who wants it more’ and the Cowboys clearly had more to prove.

While we Saints fans have some damn nerve sulking over a 13-1 record, I can understand why this loss stung so much. Perfection was within our reach, not to mention the fact that hating the Cowboys is about as innate to Saints fans as an infant’s urge to suckle at it’s mother’s teet. Blemishing our perfect record against them quite simply, blows…right? Well, maybe not.

Monkey_On_BackAs a friend of mine so eloquently put it, the mistress of a perfect record is now out of the way. The Saints can now fully commit themselves to the idea of a Super Bowl. They have a monkey off their backs. They have felt the sting of defeat and they’ve come face to face with their own mortality. Better in week 14 than in round 2 of the playoffs. We can boil this one down to an ego check, one with relatively minor consequences in the big picture of the season. I’m going to go ahead and say it Saints fans: losing to the Cowboys may have been one of the best things to happen to the team in these final weeks.

Whoa. whoa. whoa, put down your tomatoes and hear me out. There’s a good chance we’ll face this same Cowboy team in the playoffs. You’d better believe Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, and the angelic genius known as Drew Brees will be better prepared to attack them in a rematch thanks to this loss. In fact, take the Cowboys out of the playoff equation. Just think about all the film from this game the team and coaches will be studying in the coming weeks to figure out what exactly went wrong. Beyond that, the media will get off our backs. We’re no longer the golden boys of the league, which could significantly help to lessen off the field distractions. All that extra focus will serve us well when we start going against the likes of the Vikings or the Eagles or the Cardinals in the playoffs. Sure a perfect record would have been nice but the Saints’ mission should have always been singular: Win a Super Bowl.

So, the Saints, much like their fans, will pick themselves up and dust themselves off. With the Vikings now just one game behind them, the team will have a renewed motivation to play with intensity a full four quarters in these final two weeks. As for us Saints fans, well maybe this will inspire us to be a little less obnoxious. (Oh admit it, you’ve been taunting your coworker with the Eli Manning bobblehead on his desk since week 6.)

There’s still much to be proud of and much to look forward to. This may be the end of one winning streak but it could mark the beginning of another one. The emotional surge from this loss could help carry us all the way to Super Bowl. The measure of our perfection will be whether we win a championship game.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

About Nola Chick
Shaneika, a.k.a. Nola Chick, is a lifelong crazed Saints fan and creator of chicksinthehuddle.com. If she looks familiar, you may have seen her lose a Cadillac on "The Price is Right" with Bob Barker or win Super Bowl tickets on the Ellen Show. (She gets around...) Twitter Handle: @chicksndahuddle

Comments

1. Bears Chick says:

I predict that the Cowboys won’t make it past the first round of the playoffs (if they make it at all).

The Saints will make it the Superbowl.

The Bears will make it nowhere but the “We Suck At Life” list. Sigh…and so it goes

Just my opinion.

2. Mike says:

I’m with you, Nolachick. I posted a similar sentiment (“couldn’t have picked a better time/occasion…”) on another site. There really wasn’t a better time to lose than this and make that big transition into the home stretch. I mean, some of the ‘lucky’ wins of the past few weeks would have just been embarrassing losses. Clearly, in retrospect, the pressure (along with a whole pile of injuries) were taking their affect. And, the transition to a full team with a, now, experience second string in a whole lot of places. I like the looks.

lol@ bears chick! “The We Suck at Life List”…classic.
    And you’re right about the boys. I see why they’re so excited about this win. It’s very likely their last.
    As for the Saints, I’m with you Mike. The fact that we won 13 straight with primarily second and 3rd stringers is amazing and is a testament to the character of this team. I STILL believe and I think this could very well have saved our season.

4. billschick says:

my deepest sympathies nolachick….i was rootin for yall hardcore.

5. Roving Saints Fan says:

Your headline’s pretty disappointing. I’m a Saints fan first and foremost, but if you’d watched the Cowboys games this season, you’d have noticed that Romo has improved significantly. You realize he’s 5th in the league in yardage, but has fewer interceptions than any QB not named Favre, Bulger, or Young, right? Or that Roy Williams drops as many as he catches, that the playcalling inexplicably abandons the run at inopportune times, and that aside from two games (weeks 4 and 11), Romo’s been the most consistent player on his team and lived up to his promise? C’mon, you should be better than that. Your omgloldisbelief is really a discredit.

6. Just 'Nother Day says:

“Failure is an opinion. It is either an educational tool for starting over or an excuse breeding tool for saying it’s over.”

Since the almighty Vikings (with their Geritol-powered QB) just lost to the Panthers the roses are smelling a lot better, no?

Nice post, nolachick.

7. sexysaintsfan says:

Well said. 13-1 isn’t bad. Neither is 14-2 or 15-1, but I like 15-1 more.

8. nola chick says:

sheesh roving saints fan. are you a distant relative of the romos? the headline refers more to he and his team’s inconsistencies in december and romo’s overall propensity to choke. no one denies he’s got talent. but one could certainly argue that in a big game like this was, he’s more inclined to crack under the pressure. plus, spitting in the face of tony romo helps me sleep at night. that’s the beauty of having your own blog…you can spit at will.

9. Mrs. Swilling says:

I agree and posted a similar thing on my fb page about this turning out to be a good thing for the Saints. No doubt I was riding the wave of undefeated elation…but perfection seemed like almost too much to want, I mean really? after all these years… wanting 19-0 was just madness. I’m glad our loss was just a regular season gut check and not a playoff KO.

Well said Nola chick, carry on.

10. Jacob says:

I read that post by Cowboy Chick, we can thank Tony Dungy for serving up a big brown turd on Saturday night.

Trackbacks

1. [...] week old fruitcake. It’s an ass whipping a year in the making, ever since the Cowboys brought the Saints winning streak to a halt, then proclaimed themselves the best team in the league, despite failing to, you know, actually win [...]