1) Even though the Saints’ defense didn’t necessarily lose the game for us against the Packers, it was sad to know shortly after Garrett Hartley’s kick sailed wide left that they wouldn’t win it for us either. After all, who could expect them to force a three and out when the closest think we got to a sack on Aaron Rodgers all game long was an accidental eye-gouging at the hands of Malcolm Jenkins?
2) Even when the offense is good, it’s sloppy. Sure we did a better job of protecting Drew and giving him time to throw the ball, but does it matter when all the wide receivers act like he’s tossing them a dirty diaper? Catch the damn ball.
3) We have no running game. Actually, I wouldn’t know whether we do or not because we hardly ever run the ball.
4) Even when the refs tried to give us the game, we found a way to give it right back.
5) We have no discipline. Stupid penalties have killed us week after week. (Who holds on a field goal attempt? I mean, seriously?)
6) We are last in the league, last in our division, and have the last ranked defense. We suck.
BUT, here’s the good news. If we could just tackle 3, maybe even four of the aforementioned suck-factors going forward, we could still have a shot at this thing. Allow me to elaborate…
1) The defense played better this week. Not great, not good, but better. When the ball came Patrick Robinson’s way, he actually caught it and didn’t let it go flying through his hands, proceeded by the dramatic “jump up and down with hands clapping” that defensive players do for “almost interceptions.” If he and others can actually catch those “gimmes” going forward, that’s less time our defense spends on the field. It would also go a long way toward not making me want to cut my spleen out if we displayed tackling fundamentals or you know, put any sort of pressure on a quarterback. But, I won’t get greedy.
2) Catch the ball. I don’t even know what else to say here other than CATCH THE DAMN BALL! It’s your job. Catch it. Thanks.
3) We have about 17 running backs on our roster who get paid week to week. How bout we use them? Maybe they’re not racking up a lot of yards but maybe we’re not sticking with the run game long enough to even get into a rhythm. I mean, we had 1st and goal and never ran the ball once. Not once. We don’t trust any of those dudes to run the ball a few yards into the endzone? Lets try it just once next week. Mmmkay?
4) I got nothing.
5) I realize we have no coach to kick players in the ass for dumb mistakes but can we do some sort of bounty-twist where the players have to pay into a pot for every stupid penalty they commit? I mean, if we can just give them some sort of incentive or negative motivation, then maybe, just maybe, we wont feel like killing ourselves come next Monday morning.
6) We can still get out of this season 10-6, maybe even 9-7 with a shot at a wildcard spot in the playoffs. It sounds damn near impossible but until we are mathematically eliminated, we’re in this shit.
Look, I’m no Pollyanna and I’m no idiot either. I know the Saints have dug quite a hole for themselves, a cold, dark hole that almost feels like a coffin. But if we can just get our acts together we can turn this sinking ship around. We just have to get this monkey off our backs and win ONE game. It starts with one.
Call me crazy, but I’m still a believer. I’ve been a fan of an 0-4 Saints team before. This time around, it doesn’t suck any less. But unlike in years past, I legitimately have hope. I know it would bode well for me to throw in the towel but I’m in too deep. So, I’m riding with them until the rules of math tell me not to. And even then, I’ll start plotting on how we can use this season to our advantage for the next one.
Ride or die, that’s how I roll.